October 23, 2015 at 2:15 am #429AyebaParticipant
Hope to see some Contra games as well. From my review on Moddb:
I really enjoy Contra. The reason why I don’t give it a 10 is simply that I reserve 10s for “Completely blew me away, I will never (at least not in a few hundred hours of gameplay) play anything ever again”, which has yet to happen to me.
Contra is somewhat different from Shockwave, in the sense that it changes many of the original design philosophies. That is neither a good nor bad thing, it depends on your personal taste; what do you want from a mod?
Some highlights of differences from 1.04:
– Units and buildings are gated behind ranks. You have a set arsenal at rank 1, which expands at rank 3 and again at rank 5. In general, super weapons are at rank 5, with some exceptions (nuke general at rank 3, super weapon general have some at all ranks).
– Nuke general has no static defenses, possibly to balance the previous feature.
– You can’t sell buildings, though you may demolish them. Contrary to many others here, I feel this is a good change. Take a look at 1.04; is it a good thing that everyone and their grandmother sells their command center after building two dozers? It also makes capturing more powerful, since the attacked player won’t get a partial refund.
– Since rank equals better arsenal, it punishes failed attacks harder. To some extent, it also punishes turtling, though this may go both ways.
– Stealth is buffed through the roof. That is, base defenses no longer detect stealth. Each fraction has some ways to detect stealth, but very, very few detect all types of stealth. Most detects a limited type (such as AA detecting stealth aircraft, and infantry heroes detecting mines).
– Base defenses appear to be a bit weaker than ZH. In addition, since some of them are gated behind rank 3 and you won’t get rank by turtling, said tactic is even more discouraged. Not to mention you also need to guard for stealth. I find this a good change.
– All fractions have a super unit at rank 5. Like super weapons, this is limited to 1 in tournament mode, which is a good idea to enable. Even one of these is a great pain, both to build (time and cost) and defeat.
– Many fractions have mobile light super weapons at rank 5.
– Vehicles with fire-ports for infantry are extremely rare. Correct me if I’m wrong on this one, I may be mixing this up with another mod. I think this is a good feature, as Rockvees were a major issue in 1.04.
– Some base features are now upgrades. In particular, not having fire wall by default for Dragon Tanks felt strange.
In general, all the original 9 sub-fractions have had their special features turned to 11. This is a feature I have mixed feelings about. On one hand this is really cool. On the other, it just magnifies the problem ZH had; many of the generals were one-trick ponies. I like the versatility Shockwave gives each of the fractions, and that is unfortunately missing here. For example, if you choose the US Super Weapon general, you’d better be prepared to turtle up, ’cause your arsenal for assaulting is less than stellar.
The new generals bring some new ideas to the table, and feel interesting and unique.
– Cybernetic General (US) has no infantry, only cyborgs. It feels like more like General Terminator than anything else, and that’s not a bad thing. Reminds more of GLA in style; faster but weaker individual units.
– Flame General (China) has some really cool interactions with fire, such as a static, invisible defense that pumps out blobs of fuel that other defenses or units can ignite. Otherwise pretty similar to other china fractions.
– Assault General (GLA) lacks a particular feel. Well-rounded, I guess.
There’s also the Contra official page with some documentation on all the units and structures. A bit outdated, but most of it is accurate.
Unfortunately, most of the Contra community seems to be Russian, which makes it kind of hard to enjoy the commented replays that arrive on Youtube. Some English ones would be awesome as well.
October 23, 2015 at 6:50 pm #439JohnMegacycleKeymaster
This is amazing! Thank you for adding to the forums!
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.